-->



Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, May 03, 2011

My Favorite Way To Cut An Orange

My kids think I am the only one on the planet that can cut an orange "properly."  I love that they think that.  Their friends also tell me they love how I cut oranges.  Then adults started telling me the same thing, which is when I started to believe there was something special about how I do it.
 Hmmm...who woulda thunk it?

Here is what I do.
I slice the orange down the center.  Notice the stem in the picture. It is important that the orange is cut across the middle, not vertical through the stem part.  Make sense??

If you did it right, it will look like this.  So pretty. Triangles with a white pithy center. This is one of those special oranges that are a pinkish orange color, called a Cara Cara Navel Orange.  Yum!! Another reason to love Trader Joes.

Ok, now take the knife to the side of the white center, and make a slice.
Do the same on the other side, avoiding the white center.

The goal is to get both the top stem and bottom "dimple" in one slice.  
Why??

So the white, pithy center is contained in just those two pieces, which leaves the rest of the slices nice and juicy and tender, with no membrane to deal with.

See?  Perfect.

My kids argue over who gets stuck with the 2 end pieces.  Usually, its mom!!

15 comments:

  1. Ok you've got me. I have refused to buy oranges for such a long time because my kids don't like the white part. I will buy some next time I go to the grocer and I will use your method of cutting and see what they say then. So easy, but I would never have thunk to cut it that way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can smell the orange essence as I read your entry! What a simple idea for the day and one which will be used often. How refreshing to read about such a good, simple foodie technique!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! I end up with the same results when I cut mine!I start out like you, cutting them in half but then I lay the cut side of the orange flat and angle slice it fom there. Voila'! Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're such a genius! Who taught you that? I hate the way I cut oranges. I did need this tutorial. :) And now I need to run to T.J.s and get some of those yummy looking oranges. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE this! I just linked to you at my linky party because this was one of my favorite reads of the week! :) thanks so much! I would love for you to stop my and link up at "Only A Breath".

    Have a great day!
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who would have thought there was a craft to it. Your slices look better than any of mine ever have. Now I want to go grocery shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nifty -- I had not thought of that!

    I also have a trick for cutting onions on my blog if you want to check it out!

    http://offthecuffcooking.blogspot.com/2011/09/some-tips-about-onions.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very clever, Amy!
    One that even a non-cook, like me, could handle!
    Thank You!
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Does this work with grape fruit too? I love eating them unpeeled like an orange but hate the proccess of removing the membrane.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mom has always cut oranges this way (and I'm 50), as a result, I've always cut them this way too ... on the "equator" (the stem end and navel end being the "poles," like a globe). Slice just a bit down between the pulp and the skin at each end, and when you bend the ends back, all the sections pop up and you can easily eat them off the peel. I've had to be patient with folks who don't cut them this way, because, is there really any other way? It's always been obvious to me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mother and grandmother always cut them this way, and I am 75 years old.
    Never understood why anybody would cut them any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea. Prettier pieces than the way I do it. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just cut my first orange this way, thanks to you I will never cut another orange any other way again. I'm a proud mom now lol, thanks for such a simple solution.

    ReplyDelete
  14. UMM, hi, this is genius!
    I featured your tip on my blog today :)
    Thank you so much!


    http://www.sotherebyamy.com/2013/05/things-i-love-thursdays-kitchen-tips.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those oranges make me want an orange:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your lovely words to me! Due to the number of comments I receive, I cannot respond to all of them - but know that I read and love every word. If you have a question in need of a response, please e-mail sponsornewnostalgia@gmail.com and either Robyn or I will get back to you.