-->



Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Simple Summer Squash Recipe

One thing about blogging that continues to amaze me is how I can ask a question and within minutes receive answers from readers.  It is such a fun reminder that there really ARE people out there reading and they actually care enough to take a moment to talk to me!  That is just so fun.  
This is exactly how I got this recipe.  I wrote a post bragging and giddy about my garden harvest, and ended it with asking you all what to do with my overgrown summer squash.  I got quite a few great ideas, but the first commenter was Megan from Just The Scraps, and her simple preparation of summer squash really appealed to me. I tried it last night and I was so happy with how it turned out!   My 3 daughters and little niece all ate it and enjoyed it. Thank you so much, Megan, for commenting and sharing how you make summer squash.

This is more of a "method" then a recipe, or a "no recipe" recipe.

 Megan's directions from her comment:
Try cutting the squash in bite sized pieces. Melt some butter in a pan and add some minced/chopped garlic. Stir in the squash and cover, so it can steam a bit. Stir occasionally until it reaches desired tenderness.
I sliced mine pretty thin and took out most of the seeds because my squash was overgrown and the seeds were large and tough.  It only cooked for about 5 minutes once I put the lid on, and was perfectly tender.
I added salt and pepper.  Simple!

Here is another suggestion from her:

Last night I made kabobs with chicken, sausage, and chunks of zucchini, on the grill. Sprinkled it all with some salt and pepper. DELISH!
This post is linked to:
Saturday Night Special @ Funky Junk

6 comments:

  1. You are so very welcome! Im so glad you liked it :) and even more glad that everyone else enjoyed it!! I get so many recipes from all the blogs I read- its nice to give back for a change!

    Squash, specifically zucchini, is one of the very veggies my 4 year old likes. So we eat it often. Especially in the summer when its fresh from friend's gardens! (because I have yet to grow my own anything)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that should say "only veggies" my four year old likes... not very. oops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE SUMMER SQUASH. I am the only one in my family who goes nuts over it, but it's probably my favorite summer veggie. I fix it this way often, but I also love a great summer squash casserole (complete with tons of butter and oodles of Ritz crackers and CHEESE).

    Love your gardening success stories. YAY for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heyy! I'm a new follower from New Friend Friday! It seems as though we have very similar views on life and squash is very amazing, so I definitely can't wait to see what you have to share in the future!

    http://yourworkistodiscoveryourworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazing! I love squash! I am a new follower from NFF!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barb (bjr1115@comcast.net)8/2/10, 7:21 PM

    We slice the zuchinni or summer squash then put in a microwave safe bowl with a little butter and salt and pepper and microwave a few minutes or until it is tender. All of my children eat it this way, even the picky one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your lovely words to me! Due to the number of comments I receive, I cannot respond to all of them - but know that I read and love every word. If you have a question in need of a response, please e-mail sponsornewnostalgia@gmail.com and either Robyn or I will get back to you.