-->



Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, April 04, 2010

Whole Wheat Honey Banana Muffins

These muffins are GOOD!  They are moist, have great texture and are 100% healthy, with no refined flour or sugars. To make the muffins lower in fat, replace half of the oil with unsweetened applesauce. I used whole wheat pastry flour, which is ground more fine and makes for a lighter, fluffier muffin.
The recipe was originally posted on Recipezaar, and given to me by my friend Joy (who is also responsible for passing on the waffle recipe on my blog--she knows how to find the good ones!)
This recipe makes a lot of muffins, which I love, but can be halved easily.  The recipe states that it makes 24 regular sized muffins.  I was able to get 4 mini loaves and 120 mini muffins out of one recipe.  The muffins freeze well, and are great for breakfast or a quick snack.  Enjoy!

Whole Wheat Honey Banana Muffins
 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp wheat germ (optional)
2/3 cup olive oil (I'd like to try coconut oil)
1 cup honey
4 eggs
2 cups mashed ripe bananas (I used 6)
1/2 cup hot water

1. Stir together dry ingredients
2. Beat oil and honey together; add eggs and beat well.
3. Add bananas and beat to combine.
4. Add dry ingredients to wet, alternating with hot water; mix well after each addition.
5. Spoon batter into 24 greased muffin cups; bake at 325 degrees for 15 minutes, or until muffins are golden brown and test done.
6. Remove from oven and cool on rack.

{*thanks, Joy!}

27 comments:

  1. These are right up my alley. They look delicious and so very healthy!!
    DomesticProductions15.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so good. I will definitely try them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you recommended the WW pastry flour. Plain WW is too dense for my taste. The pastry flour probably gives it a nicer texture. Awesome recipe. I'm going to have to try this.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delicious. I am always looking for yummy healthy recipes. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I have 2 overripe bananas sitting on the counter and I've been waiting to find a great recipe to use them in. Definitely going to make this today! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You cook like I do....you make A LOT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look great. I love healthy muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Muffins never looked so good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great! Sorry I haven't been by in a while. The move and unpacking have gotten the best of me. Thanks for sharing your recipe and linking to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just the kind of muffins we love.

    I'm delighted to find your blog (visiting via the Mother Huddle) and I think we would get along great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look great! I need a healthy muffin recipe for my son to take to baseball!
    Don't forget you can add them to Cupcake Tuesday too! I also have muffin recipes ;-)
    ~Liz@HoosierHomemade

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love healthy!
    I've had fun poking around your blog!
    You have great ideas!
    I'm going to follow you.
    Stop by and visit me sometime!
    http://songberries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look delicious!!! I love recipes using no sugar and things like wheat germ, whole wheat, etc....thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your welcome everyone! Let me know if you make them and what you think. I am ready for my second batch already...my girls loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad you had a minute to add them to Cupcake Tuesday! Thanks :-)
    ~Liz@HoosierHomemade

    ReplyDelete
  16. These sound very good! Love the fact that they cut out refined flours and sugars-- both of which we still use too much of in our home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. We tried these yesterday instead of my regular version and my kids gobbled them up! They are great. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am visiting your blog for the first time through The Girl Creative. These muffins look delicious and healthy. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look great. I'm for sure going to try these out. We are a big fan of muffins. You have any other muffin recipes you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice photo. I have always been a little intimidated by creating homemade muffins but these seem simple enough, even for me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I made your muffins. They are delicious. I used a combination of whole grains instead of pastry flour. Red quinoa, millet, red fife wheat. Thank you for the great recipe. It was nice to find one with whole wheat only and honey as a sweetener.

    Tania.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi! I found you via Pintrest and made these muffins this morning. They were wonderful, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I made these today, they are sooooooooo yummy!! Instead of wheat germ, I used ground flax seed. Mom and 3 1/2 year old approved so far!! Can't wait for my littlest one to wake up, he is 1 1/2, he is going to love them!! Thanks for the recipe, love banana bread and this fits perfect into our healthier lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've made this recipe several times but have never frozen any and would love to try it but have no idea how to defrost them.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm going to try these. I'm always on the lookout for healthy treats for my boys.

    ReplyDelete
  26. My kids LOVE these muffins.....and they are a healthy treat for breakfast!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Made these this morning, and the children, husband, and I really enjoyed them. I think the next time I make them, I'll put a little less honey in because they were a little sweet for breakfast, but I'm saving the recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your lovely words to me! Due to the number of comments I receive, I cannot respond to all of them - but know that I read and love every word. If you have a question in need of a response, please e-mail sponsornewnostalgia@gmail.com and either Robyn or I will get back to you.