-->



Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Chocolate Mudballs

Well, Laura at "Heavenly Homemakers" has done it again.  She has taken a simple recipe, used whole ingredients, and provided my recipe box with one more "make often" recipe.

These chocolate mudballs just hit the spot!  They are great when you are wanting a bit of a chocolate treat, but use ingredients like wheat germ and oats to make them a treat that has some health benefits.  Love that!

I whipped them up in literally minutes, right before I left for my Tuesday Night Women's Bible study group.  These women are often my taste testers with new recipes, I love their honesty and can count of the variety of tastes in the room to know whether or not a recipe is blog worthy! (I made bars that resembled bird seed one week and we all wondered if the birds would even eat them...they were NOT good:) These little mudballs received rave reviews, so here they are!


Mudballs
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/4 cup 
chocolate chips 
1/4 cup sesame seeds
Cook the peanut butter on honey over low heat until melted. Add remaining ingredients. When cool enough to handle roll into oohey gooey mud balls.
This batch made 12 balls, next time I will double the recipe.
My girls loved these.  They felt like they were eating cookie dough, and were disappointed that we had to share with my group!  I made them yesterday, and plan on going to the store for more sesame seeds so I can make them again today.  
I had a reader send me a recipe she thought I would like (how sweet is that?) and she was right on.  They are balls that are just like these, with just a couple ingredients switched up- they use ground flax seed instead of wheat germ, so it would be a great way to get those Omega 3's!  Here is the link to that recipe if you want to check it out, the link will take you to a Disney website.  I will let you know when I make them how they turn out.
This post linked to:
Food On Fridays @ann kroeker. writer.
Recipe Swap Wednesdays @ Remodelaholic
Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays @ Blessed With Grace
Just Something I Whipped Up @ The Girl Creative

22 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!!! these sound delicious!!!!
    Can't wait to make some!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Blessings!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sound delicious! And healthy to boot...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm gonna go make these right now to share with my girlfriends. Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, these looks great and I love that they have wheat germ, oatmeal, and honey in them! I know my kids would gobble them up. Think i'll make a batch tonight! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I wish it weren't so late or I'd try these tonight. Guess I've got something to look forward to tomorrow! I know my kids will love these (me, too).

    As I browsed your most recent recipes, I am super-impressed. I want to try them all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy these were just so delicious! I made them last night and shared the recipe today
    http://muminbloom.blogspot.com/2010/03/recipe-dark-chocolate-mudballs.html

    Thanks for these heavenly treats :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you for your comments ladies! love the excitement chocolate brings:) enjoy your mudballs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum - chocolate and healthy? WOOHOO! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look really good and, of course, I love the name! Joni

    ReplyDelete
  10. These do look delicious! I think I would really enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks, all. Let me know if you make them and what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so very welcome! Like your recipe, as well as the whole blog!
    Best regards from Serbia

    ReplyDelete
  13. going in my must make soon and try line up - can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  14. 've included this in my weekly inspiration roundup, blogged here:
    http://www.camilledawn.com/2010/07/tuesday-tumblr-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Visiting from The Girl Creative. These look awesome! I'm going to have to try these... my (almost) 2 year old loves chocolate and peanut butter, but getting him to eat healthy is tough!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Amy i tried slivered almonds and chopped them up to act like sesame seeds and it's really good!
    Macey

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum, these remind me of no bakes. My mom used to always make them with wheat germ. Must try them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These were so good! My 2 year old daughter loved them! I also tried your coconut chicken curry tonight, fantastic! Thank you for all of the wonderful recipes! Oh, and the book recommendations! I started the chronological bible yesterday and I am loving the way it reads! Thanks so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have made these before, but with craisins, instead of the sesame seeds. They are super yummy! I used my smallest scooper for the size and they were perfect for my girls to snack too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Would love to pin this, but for some reason am not able to... I'll just save it to my favorites. Looks yummy. I like the fact that this recipe uses only a 1/4th cup of honey as compared to the 2/3rds cup that most recipes like this use. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. The peanut butter most make it taste really good.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Do u keep these out or refrigerate them?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your lovely words to me! Due to the number of comments I receive, I cannot respond to all of them - but know that I read and love every word. If you have a question in need of a response, please e-mail sponsornewnostalgia@gmail.com and either Robyn or I will get back to you.